The Benefits of Naturopathic Prenatal Care
- A Naturopathic Doctor can help you feel great throughout your pregnancy, addressing pregnancy-related complaints such as fatigue, nausea, muscle cramps and more.
- What should you eat? How much should you exercise and what is appropriate at different stages of pregnancy?
- Separating the myths from reality. You may have developed new fears and anxieties since finding out you’re pregnant. There is a lot of information out there about foods, herbs, beverages and other substances to avoid, and this can be very stressful to sift through. An ND can share recent research findings and traditional medicinal knowledge with you to help you make decisions you are comfortable with.
- In pregnancy you may want to avoid using antibiotics and other pharmaceutical medications for common concerns such as sinusitis, colds, allergies and more. Your ND can find safe and effective natural methods to address your health concerns.
- No doubt you are focused on the health of your developing baby, now and in the future. There are many Naturopathic interventions which can help maximize your baby’s health. For example: taking specific strains of probiotics during pregnancy can reduce the likelihood of your future child developing asthma, allergies and/or eczema. This is especially important if these issues are common in the parents, or the immediate family of the parents. Your ND can guide you in choosing the right probiotic for you.
- Acupuncture, moxa and homeopathics can help turn a breech baby. Results are better the earlier that treatment is initiated!
- Preparation for labour and delivery: Think & plan ahead about how to prepare your mind, body and spirit for the birth of your child. Your ND can supplement the information provided to you by your midwife or obstetrician. Pre-labour acupuncture starting at 36 weeks gestation has been shown to reduce labour time and complications. Drinking red raspberry leaf tea in the 3rd trimester helps tonify the uterus, preparing it for the big day!
- Specific herbs and homeopathic remedies can be used at appropriate times to address a wide variety of issues….but please talk to an ND before you use any type of natural remedy.
- Your ND can also help you plan for your own post-partum health care, establishing breastfeeding, and infant health care.
You may find some general answers to your pregnancy-related questions online, but your ND can develop an individualized treatment plan that is safe, tailored to you, and takes your personal health history into consideration. Most extended health care plans include Naturopathic Medicine. Pregnancy is a great time to use these benefits to maximize your health and the health of your future child.
Written by Jessica Carfagnini, H.BA, N.D., Thunder Bay Naturopathic Clinic. All rights reserved.
Image: Ashlee Dawn Photography. All rights reserved.